These festive muffins are great for Yule afternoon as you cozy up in front of the fire. They are sweet, aromatic, soft and fluffy. Even better, they are easy to make! If you don’t like cranberries, you can replace these with blueberries or cherries, which ever you prefer. They taste lovely with a glass of mulled wine or a mixed berry fruit punch. They also freeze very well, so make a larger batch and freeze some in case you have unexpected guests arrive (or in case you want more yourself ). I do love a bit of cakey goodness at Yule time!
- 100g butter (melted)
- 275ml plain natural yoghurt (works well with lactose free yoghurt and soya yoghurt too)
- 200g caster sugar
- 325g self raising flour
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 100g fresh cranberries (if you don’t like cranberries, you can replace these with blueberries or cherries!)
- 25ml orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of chopped candied orange peel
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice (you can use less or more according to your personal taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC / 355ºF.
- Either grease a muffin baking tray or use a standard baking tray and pop on muffin cases.
- This is one recipe where the method is literally just ‘throw it all together’. In this recipe you can use the ‘all in one method’ and it works a treat, great for Yule morning when you are already busy! So, in a large bowl, mix everything together APART from the thinly sliced orange peel for decoration and start to mix thoroughly. Don’t worry if it looks a little curdled, it will be fine.
- Mix really well and add to muffin cases or muffin tray to about a 3rd of the way up each muffin case or tray hole.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. These can be eaten warm or cold, just add your thinly sliced orange peel on top for some decoration!